Today I will evaluate the XtraReports for LightSwitch reporting extension.
Installation of XtraReports and very 1st use
- Downloaded evaluation version from DevExpress
- After downloading 136 MB (with XtraReports evaluation and Some free controls). The download file was called “DXComponentsLightSwitch-11.1.9.exe”
- Ran the executable and installed both XtraReports and the free devexpress controls.
- After installation I followed Lesson1 on the devexpress site
- You need a SQL server with the Northwind sample database for this lesson. Luckily I had one available already.
- Following the lesson was easy and worked as explained. Congrats to Developer Express!
Deployment of XtraReports
- Read the instructions from XtraReports LS Deployment and was flabbergasted ??? It is quite the opposite of the lesson I used in the very 1st use. Here there was a dry summary of files composed by the lawyers.
- Let’s assume that this version of XtraReports is setup to that deployment does not need any tweaks.
- I use the project in previous chapter to deploy on a server on which I already have a working LightSwitch app. So if deployment problems arise with this project, it can’t be the web server.
- To Publish the project I noticed one dubious question in the Publish application wizard under Other Connections. What connection should I enter for the XtraReports WCF RIA service?. In the devexpress forums I found connection string for IIS7
- I entered XtraReportsServiceData as advised.
- Aftter signing with the same certificate as the other working app, I started the deployment.
- Deployment was done successfully, the site ‘XtraReportDeployTest’ was created (same name as my LightSwitch project)
- On a client pc on the same LAN, use IE to browse to this new site
- Click on install button.
- after installation , application started and the screen with the report was displayed. It WORKS.